My original concept was that this sub-race of Elf has been corrupted as they turned their back on ‘traditional’ avenues to power and began fusing their bloodlines with draconic energies. This stirred an ancient serpent deity that began manipulating the now ‘dark’ elves into its service.
Vrael’Olo are the result of elves being corrupted by insidious influences to the point that they have developed a significant affinity with serpents. This affinity has replaced some of the typical elf traits with strange adaptations and mutations.
Vrael’Olo value their privacy and traditions, their only interaction with other civilizations is as conquerors, assassins and slavers. Vrael’Olo seek power and influence over other races they cannot overcome by force. They are adept infiltrators and masters of mis-information.
Physical Description: Generally taller than humans, Vrael’Olo possess a graceful, slender physique that is accentuated by their long, pointed ears and the sheen of fine scales covering their body. It is a mistake, however, to consider them weak or feeble, as the thin limbs of a Vrael’Olo are surprisingly flexible and strong. Their eyes are wide and almond-shaped filled with large, vibrantly colored irises, split by snake-like slit pupils.
The skin/scale coloration of Vrael’Olo as a whole varies widely and is much more diverse than that of human populations. The most striking feature of the Vrael’Olo is their finely scaled skin. Coloration of these scales often identifies the family or tribe from which an individual hails. Typically the coloration is patterned similar to a tropical snake. However, it is not uncommon for solid coloration to be found. Vrael’Olo are entirely hairless.
Vrael’Olo are creatures of subtlety when encountered outside their native lands. They dress to be invisible in crowds so any fashions are acceptable. In their homelands all but the barest of clothing is shunned as their coloration and physique are all the statement they require among their peers.
As Vrael’Olo age they seek to ascend and become more like the Great Serpent. The rites and rituals to alter their physical form often prove deadly but the few who emerge from the transformative process change physically, mentally and gain unique powers. No Vrael’Olo has survived more than two of these processes.
Society: Vrael’Olo are a cold and calculating people. They rarely befriend anyone without some ulterior motive. Their society is matriarchal so males are often subservient. This can often lend to the uneasiness of negotiations as most cultures cannot meet the gaze of a Matriarch and be impartial. The Vrael’Olo culture is one of callous brutality to the weak.
Vrael’Olo are hatched in clutches and cared for in communal creches till the survivors reach maturity. The temperature of the nest determines whether the new born is male or female. Upon reaching maturity the young are chosen to serve one of the major houses until they’ve proven their worth or are killed.
Vrael’Olo have a penchant for craftsmanship and artistry, especially when working in wood, bone, ivory, or leather.
Vrael’Olo are patient and long lived but the serpent essence within their blood lends itself to harnessing arcane powers not learned through books. Within Vrael’Olo society sorcery and service to the Great Serpent as a priest or priestess are highly regarded.
Relations: With very few exceptions Vrael’Olo believe all other races, including their lighter elf kin, are fit only to be slaves or sacrifices. The Vrael’Olo believe their empire will encompass the world under the rulership of The Great Serpent. Even other Vrael’Olo are subject to this judgment if any sign of weakness is shown.
Vrael’Olo respect powerful reptilian races like dragons, the cunning behir and the prophetic medusa. The only scaly creature the Vrael’Olo fear and despise is naga. Naga are viewed as an affront to the Great Serpent and often work cross purpose to Vrael’Olo goals.
Other scaly creatures like lizardfolk are fodder and slaves. Brutes to be used in softening targets before the Vrael’Olo engage or a sacrificial distraction while the enemy is beset by assassins from an unexpected direction. Uniquely powerful lizardfolk are often prized gladiators and bodyguards for Vrael’Olo noble houses.
Alignment and Religion: Vrael’Olo are cold and manipulative. Their singular deity is the Great Serpent. No other culture has so embraced the worship of this dark, primal deity. The Vrael’Olo have been granted racial traits because of their blind devotion to this deity.
Most Vrael’Olo tend to be lawful and evil with a solid mix of neutral evil and a smattering of lawful neutral. Their culture doesn’t cultivate the good tendencies of many other civilized nations.
Adventurers: Vrael’Olo do not adventure without purpose. Recovery of ancient magic, manipulation of a foe, an assassination contract, a war party or plotting ascension through the ranks are all valid reasons. The only other reason a Vrael’Olo would venture away from their homeland is at the direction of a superior or escaping assured execution. Adventurers typically encounter sorcerer, ranger or rogue Vrael’Olo.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Vrael’Olo are nimble and manipulative, but their form is frail. They gain +1 Dexterity, +1 Charisma, and –1 Constitution.
- Size: Vrael’Olo are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Vulnerability: Cold based attacks
- Type: Vrael’Olo are Humanoids with the elf subtype.
- Base Speed: Vrael’Olo have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Vrael’Olo begin play speaking Common and Elven. Vrael’Olo with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Vrael’Olo are immune to natural poison and gain a +4 bonus to save vs magical or alchemical toxins.
- Vrael’Olo gain a +4 to save vs petrification.
- Vrael’Olo gain a +1 Natural Armor bonus to their armor class.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Keen Senses: Vrael’Olo receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Poison Use: Vrael’Olo can use poison without the chance of harming themselves.
Magical Racial Traits
- Scaly Bond: Vrael’Olo have an innate empathy with any creature of the animal subtype that is cold blooded or scaled. This is very apparent with any type of serpent.
Offense Racial Traits
- Weapon Familiarity: Vrael’Olo are proficient with long bows, short bows & scimitars.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Vrael’Olo can see up to 60’ in complete, natural darkness.